|The Sgt Frog Abridged Movie|
| Season M, Episode 1|
|Air date||February 16, 2020|
|Written by|| ThornBrain|
(Script can be read here)
The Sgt Frog Abridged Movie is a special in the Sgt Frog Abridged series, based on the third Keroro Gunsou movie Keroro vs. Keroro—Great Sky Duel. The movie is about Keroro and the team facing against his long-lost twin brother, Dark Keroro, who leads an invasion of Earth.
The movie was in development sporadically for two years after the episodic series concluded with SFA25, until TheMidnightFrogs quietly dissolved in 2017. Work secretly resumed on it in 2019, and it was released as a surprise on February 16, 2020 to commemorate the series' 10th anniversary.
Cast (In Order of Appearance)Edit
- Keroro: Mugiwara Yoshi
- Giroro: ThornBrain
- Fuyuki: Thorn
- Dororo: Thorn
- Tamama: Thorn
- Kululu: InfamousGentleman
- Nazca/Miruru: Shadow
- Natsumi: Skillz McBillz
- Koyuki: Spacerkid
- Dark Keroro: Yoshi
- Shivava: SpeedJolt
- Doruru: JigglyJacob
- Paul: Logan Laidlaw
- Momoka: Carrie "xbubblemunkyx" Johnston
- Mois: Hige Hige
- Carl: Jacob
- Kerobobos and various machines: Thorn
- Fuyuklones: Thorn
- Various Mind-Controlled People: Thorn, Jacob, Skillz
- Ancient Incan Corpses: Jacob, Thorn
- Old Snake: Thorn
- Written by Thorn, Jacob and Travis
- Edited and Directed by Thorn
- Original artwork by Boods - Twitter
Sgt Frog Movie UsedEdit
Keroro Gunso the Super Movie 3: Keroro vs. Keroro Great Sky Duel
Keroro Gunsou OSTEdit
- "2004MN4" - Recurring suspensful music
- "Diaspora" - Recurring action music
- "Subaltern" - Recurring Dark Keroro music
- "Doko Demo BACCHI" - Dark Keroro takes over the world; Everyone retreats while the world is pink
- "Big Hustle!" - Keroro and Fuyuki are falling
- "Escape Velocity 127" - The ending sucked; Momoka Love Fighters
- "Keroro Gunsou" - Violent beauty pageant
- "Tekno Gunsou" - Natsumi and Koyuki return to normal
- "Wax & Wane" - River cave scene
- "Vertigo" - Post-river cave
- "Eleki Gunsou" - Recurring triumphant music
- "Feroro Fresh" - Fuyuki breaks the bands
- "Kelop" - Resolution
Final Fantasy XIV OSTEdit
- "Supply and Demand" - Giroro and Keroro wonder what else could have been in Macchu Picchu
- "Damnation" - The sky is flushing
- "One Blood" - Dark Keroro's ship parts the clouds
- "Skulldiggery" - Fuyuki insults Dark Keroro and he retaliates
- "Tranquility" - Keroro and Fuyuki talk down Dark Keroro
- "Forever Lost" - Dark Keroro stops the war machine
- "Ludwig the Accursed" - Dark Keroro's ship disappears into the clouds
- "Father Gascoigne the Hunter" - Keroro in the sewer
- "Blood-Starved Beast" - Dark Keroro goes berserk
- "The Electrician" - The Walker Brothers - Nite Flights - Introduction of Dark Keroro
- "Mathilda" - Scott - COUPONS
- "Lullaby" - Scott Walker + Sunn O))) - Soused - Recurring dark music
- "It's Raining Today" - Scott 3 - Recurring dissonant strings
- "Bolivia '95" - Tilt - Dark Keroro monologues
- "Cue" - The Drift - Fuyuki is brought to Dark Keroro
- "Brando" - Scott Walker + Sunn O))) - Soused - Dark Keroro is a Sarge
- "Your Love" - The Outfield - Movie theme and recurring BGM; instrumental used in credits with cast singing
- "Roundabout" - Yes - Fragile - BGM in intro
- "Tomb Raider theme" - Nazca's theme
- "Owner of a Lonely Heart" - Yes - 90125 - Natsumi doll transforms; Giroro gets in the fighting spirit
- "We Built This City" - Starship - Dark Keroro's mind control waves
- "No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed" - Yes - Time and a Word - Fuyuki flies into the sky; Tamama flies into the sky
- "Stallion" - The Garden - Mirror Might Steal Your Charm - Koyuki and Natsumi fight
- "needle in the southern artery" - smell - woof - Dark Keroro can make Viper out; His name is Keroro
- "Boss Battle (Crisis, Opportunity)" - Skies of Arcadia OST - The platoon start fighting back
- "Ruin Sentinel" - Dark Souls 2 OST - Keroro bursts into Dark Keroro's throne room
- "Covetous Demon" - Dark Souls 2 OST - Kerobobos fight; War machine attacks
- "Lollipop" - The Chordettes - Dark Keroro remembers his childhood
- "The Power of Love" - Huey Lewis & the News - Back to the Future soundtrack - Attacking the war machine
- "James Bond theme" - 007: Agent Under Fire - Freeze frame of Tamama and Momoka
- "Spiralling Shape" - They Might Be Giants - Factory Showroom - Giroro gets hit by a missile
- "The One and Only" - Chesney Hawkes - Buddy's Song - Outro
ThornBrain and JigglyJacob began scriptwriting on May 15, 2016. Due to the length of the original movie and their writing style, they expected the script to take multiple months to complete, but it instead took a year due to extended periods without progress. The movie was set for Summer 2016, but Thorn changed his focus to working on How I Caught Your Mother through June, and they did not continue writing for the movie until September 14. Travis wrote a bit with Thorn and Jacob on September 26.
After September, and for no specific reason, TheMidnightFrogs as a whole went into indefinite hiatus. Travis, due to work and his personal life taking up all of his time, formally dropped out of writing with the team as well as TheStrawhatNO! in early 2017. Thorn and Jacob did not return to writing the movie's script until April 5, 2017. Thorn and Jacob completed the script at midnight May 15, 2017, a full year after they began writing. Some recording was completed in the following weeks with Thorn, Jacob, and Jon, but multiple other voice actors were unavailable. By the end of 2017, TheMidnightFrogs had quietly ended, and the movie was shelved with the expectation that it would never be made.
In March 2019, after Yoshi returned to TheStrawhatNO! full-time, Thorn pitched to Jacob the idea of finishing the SFA Movie in-time for the series' 10th anniversary in February 2020. Jacob agreed, and they plus Yoshi gave the script one final, light revision. Thorn resumed recording and directing in August and September before beginning editing in October. Boods was hired to draw the movie logo and original animation frames that same month. All voices were recorded from August through February, with Carrie Johnston and Logan Laidlaw taking over late in production as Momoka and Paul, respectively.
Thorn, Yoshi and Jacob held a livestream on January 5, 2020 on TheMidnightFrogs channel where they watched SFA seasons 1 and 2 to celebrate the channel's 10th anniversary. Thorn ended the stream by airing the long-belated final episode of Ask GiroDoro, which was immediately followed by a secret trailer for the movie, showing the full intro sequence. The movie was then formally announced for February 16, 2020, the series' 10th birthday. Editing was completed on Valentine's Day, with Thorn's Patreon patrons getting early access to the movie, before it finally premiered at 12PM Pacific on the 16th.
Joke References and ExplanationsEdit
The following has numerous spoilers for the movie. It is recommended that you watch the movie before reading any further.
Episode Running Gags, Series Running Gags, and CallbacksEdit
- Hidden in the background are Thorn's 30 favourite records of the 2010s in order from #30 favourite to #1:
- Moaning - Moaning is in a hole when Keroro says "Where the buildings pee freely".
- The Monkees - Good Times is in a small crack in the wall when Keroro approaches the triangle door.
- David Bowie - Blackstar is in the trap pit as the platoon jump over it.
- Django Django - Born Under Saturn is near the portal when Dororo says "Best that we don't touch anything suspicious".
- The Darkness - Last of Our Kind is in the top left corner as Keroro says "When has anything pink tried to kill us?"
- Twin Peaks - Wild Onion is in the blue towel outside as Keroro tells Fuyuki not to be afraid of nature.
- The Sonics - This is the Sonics is on the side of Miruru's console as she looks up their records on Keroro.
- Primal Scream - More Light is on the elevator door when Fuyuklone 23 arrives.
- Scott Walker - Bish Bosch is in the house when Saburo is about to enter it.
- Preoccupations - Viet Cong is on the back of the commander's chair when Mois runs out of the base.
- Napalm Death - Apex Predator-Easy Meat is stickered onto Dark Keroro's mech as he jumps down to face Keroro.
- The Horrors - Skying is in one of the windows of Momoka's mansion as Dark Keroro says "Yeah... alright."
- Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action is framed on the wall behind the kids playing video games.
- Beck - Morning Phase is in the window at the center of the screen as several people lie asleep in the street.
- The Beths - Future Me Hates Me is in the far left light next to the elevator when Shivava and Doruru drag Keroro onto the bridge.
- The Garden - Mirror Might Steal Your Charm is in a rock on the wall as Fuyuki falls into the river in the ship.
- Gorillaz - Plastic Beach is in a brick on the bottom right of the screen when Fuyuki enters the room with Keroro and the corpses.
- Elvis Costello - National Ransom is stickered on Tamama's jet bike as Giroro yells that they need to calm down.
- Johnny Marr - The Messenger is in a doorway as Natsumi attacks Giroro.
- Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid is in the same place in the following shot.
- Steve Mason - Meet the Humans is in the top left hexagon behind Kululu as he talks about his aching stomach.
- They Might Be Giants - Join Us is in a doorway behind Natsumi as she wanders around calling out for the others.
- Smell - woof is in a window behind Natsumi when she hears Tamama's yodeling.
- Smell - viva lasagna is in the light to the right of Miruru as she tells Dark Keroro that the others have figured out how to communicate.
- Mastodon - The Hunter is on Carl's pelvis as Keroro says "My dad can beat up your dad!"
- The Primrose League - Havoc Monk Unseen is in the hexagon behind Saburo as Kululu notices him.
- Ogre You Asshole - Ukareteiru Hito is on Carl's shield before Shivava destroys it.
- Moron Police - A Boat on the Sea is on a piece of the plane as Dark Keroro screams the lights on.
- White Reaper - White Reaper is stickered onto Doruru's weaponry as Giroro is falling towards him.
- White Reaper - White Reaper Does it Again is in one of the panels behind Dark Keroro as he lands in the control room to deactivate the war machine.
- 4 and 9:
- The movie is (unintentionally) 44 minutes long.
- Keroro says he has 36 (4 times 9) broken bones.
- Kululu finds and article on Buzzfeed: 6 Dead Evil Twins You HAVE to See - Number 4 will shock you! Number 4 is Dark Keroro.
- The intro carries over from the final episodes of Ask GiroDoro, wherein Viper tells Giroro and Dororo about his hidden treasure stashes across Earth. The latest one is in Macchu Picchu, and they've brought the rest of the platoon and Fuyuki to find it.
- Tamama runs off, half-heartedly saying "G.I. Joe", a callback to SFA5.
- Giroro tells Keroro "If we die here, I'm gonna kill you", a callback to the similar line "If you don't stop dying, I'm going to kill you" from SFA15.
- The platoon almost never refer to the Keronian OJ as "orange juice", only "OJ". Giroro noted in the final episode of Ask GiroDoro that they found the bottle in one of Viper's treasure stashes. Its powers of bringing nonliving things to life are used throughout the episode, and Keroro realizes that Viper used the OJ they found to bring Dark Keroro back to life.
- Dark Keroro externalizes Keroro's narcissism by being openly attracted to him.
- Keroro constantly hints that he's secretly depressed: he says that he has nothing to live for, that he's had a busy week of crying, and when he thinks he and Fuyuki have found the light at the end of the tunnel that leads to the afterlife, he runs off saying "Full speed ahead, bitches!"
- Shivava is constantly trying to get anyone around him to notice him and think he's cool. He finally snaps at the end of the movie when Tamama and Momoka ignore him in favor of their own argument.
- Miruru is using Pururu's health reports on the Keroro Platoon from SFA11 to learn about them. She mistakenly thinks that Keroro is Carl, who was actually the Gundam model Keroro was holding at the end of SFA11.
- Multiple jokes are made from this that reference the Carl's Jr. fast food chain.
- The real Carl appears in the latter half of the movie, "Carl" simply being what Keroro calls his Gundam model at the time. Keroro then dubs Dark Keroro "Carl" at the end of the movie in honor of Gundam-Carl's destruction.
- Miruru and Dark Keroro tracked Viper's message from Ask GiroDoro episode 18 to find Earth.
- After Dark Keroro does his "god" monologue, Shivava refers to him as "God" or similar for the rest of the movie.
- Momoka has tried to get over Fuyuki after the SFA25 roll call by cloning him a minimum of 23 times.
- Koyuki no longer has a house after Paul destroyed it in the SFA25 roll call.
- Giroro briefly thinks that Doruru is his father before saying "Oh, no, it's not, thank god", a joke about how so many characters were rewritten to be related throughout SFA.
- Keroro describes Doruru and Shivava as "shittier Garuru" and "shittier Putata", which doubles as a joke about the similarity of many character voices (Shivava was originally going to be voiced by Thorn and would have sounded very similar to Putata).
- Shivava sings "Your Love", the movie's theme song, while not paying attention.
- Keroro tells Tamama to "breathe with your lungs, damnit!", a callback to Tamama saying she doesn't breathe out of her mouth in SFA25.
- Dark Keroro readies to attack by saying "Five o'clock!", a callback to Keroro doing the same thing to Giroro in the post-credits of SFA16.
- Keroro once again tries to sell some coupons.
- Fuyuki knocks a naked Raiden bird out of the sky.
- Like his "Giant Ninja Fuck-You Star", Dororo calls his small saucer a "Tiny Ninja Catch-You Star".
- The Violent Beauty Pageant has been clearly rigged in Koyuki's favor: Natsumi's axe is a squeaky toy, and the pre-recorded audience boos her. Dororo outright says "Natsumi's gonna die."
- The Violent Beauty Pageant awakens a bloodlust in Fuyuki, as he repeatedly attempts to kill or eat the others through to the river cave scene.
- Dororo tries to get Koyuki to snap out of her mind control by saying he's lost in the city and needs a tracker.
- Fuyuki sends everyone through a trapdoor by saying "I'm sorry Sarge, the base ate me", a callback to Mois saying "I'm sorry Uncle, the base ate him" in SFA17.
- Koyuki offers to trade Dororo's knife for a Band-Aid, but he declines by saying "You'd probably catch something else, Pal", a callback to him being a carrier for every disease ever.
- Mois tries to make Tamama feel better but only makes it worse by bringing up both of her and Keroro's babies who ran off (Kilili and Kemama).
- Giroro yells out "BLRFLHAGEN" when he gets hit by the pink gas, which is the same enunciated noise he makes when hit by snowballs at the start of SFA25.
- When Fuyuki is knocked out and illuminated by a spotlight, he mumbles "I'm just an old TV..."
- Dark Keroro repeatedly gets Fuyuki's name wrong, calling him "Fuyoukeh", "Yogi" and "Funky".
- Fuyuki already thinks that Dark Keroro is out to kill Keroro, like all the major villains before. He suggests kidnapping Natsumi instead, a call-forward to the second SFA movie, which will likely be of the second Keroro Gunsou movie wherein Natsumi gets kidnapped.
- When Carl comes to life, he proclaims "I am no longer penis", a callback to Keroro saying "This is Carl. He is penis" in SFA11.
- Kululu is posting to "fuckeroro.edu", saying "Keroro's appendix is lopsided, and he should feel bad about it".
- Darkerobobo appears with "Who wants to play Evil Ball?", a callback to Giant Robobo in SFA22 appearing with "Who's ready for some football?"
- Keroro yells "FRIENDSHIP!", a loose callback to SFA4.
- Tamama calls out to "Jeezy B" for help despite them "breaking up", a callback to Beetle Jesus and their subsequent union that led to Kemama.
- Momoka calls back to Keroro Love Fighters with Momoka Love Fighters.
- Keroro mentions Weight Watchers again after Tamama did in SFA25.
- Momoka addresses how she's been absent for many years, referring to her lack of appearances in the whole of SFA. This is further driven home by Koyuki and Mois having no idea who she is.
- Natsumi calls back to the many times the Hinata house or its roof was destroyed and clarifies that Kululu is the one who rebuilds it every time.
- Fuyuki calls back to the many people they've fought who either forgave Keroro or died.
- Keroro follows it up by saying "My platoon's changed the past, but we've learned you can't change the past."
- Momoka and Tamama finally air their grievances after Momoka attacked Tamama ("You tied me to a tree, you freak!") and Tamama took advantage of Momoka's death by living in her mansion until Momoka was resurrected.
- Giroro's oft-noted incompetence with guns is finally resolved as he beats Doruru: "Huh. I guess knives are my thing." Doubles as a subtle joke about his and Dororo's surprising relationship.
- Saburo's silence is given an additional joke in the credits: his section has no vocals, and after several seconds of silence, Natsumi turns to him in confusion.
Other Jokes and ReferencesEdit
- Viper's base has Patrick Warburton saying "Uhh" as an alarm. The audio is taken from a showcase of Warburton's voice acting, and as a joke he is credited as being voiced by "Skidmark Salieri". The joke is a leftover from early in scriptwriting where Fuyuki thinks Macchu Picchu is a theme park Viper constructed based on The Emperor's New Groove.
- Giroro remarks that Viper's base reminds him of when he went to the dentist, a reference to Dororo's dentist father in the original Keroro Gunsou who was replaced with Viper in SFA.
- Twice in the movie, characters call something pink and are angrily corrected with "Lavender!", a reference to an old call TheMidnightFrogs held on Skype with some fans where Jacob found a fanart picture of Pururu with sakura petals. Thorn joked that they connect because "she's pink and she's dying", but it was later noted by viewers that Pururu's actually lavender.
- Miruru calls Dark Keroro "Grand Cardinal", which is based on an unused Joriri joke where Lil' Keroro calls him "Grand Cardinal of the Coocoo Clock".
- Doruru says he is father to no one "except some weird avocado people on Mars." This is a leftover joke from before editing; supposedly at some point in the original movie is a shot of seven avocado-looking creatures in space, with Doruru listing their names as "Cake, Dig, Kick, Gig, Nanny, Tom, and Mom." When Thorn began editing, he couldn't find the clip anymore, so he cut it from the script but kept Doruru's weird non-sequitur. Fuyuki was also supposed to call back to the roll call at the point where he says Dark Keroro should have planned for "wearable women".
- When Giroro gets knocked out, he says "potatoes" like Eduardo from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
- Dark Keroro calls Keroro "Staplerman", a reference to one of Jacob's old Pokemon Nuzlocke streams. "Staplerman" was Thorn's name suggestion for Shroomish.
- Shivava calls Dark Keroro "God...Boss...Bruce...Clapton...", a reference to Bruce Springsteen's nickname of "The Boss" and Eric Clapton's nickname of "God".
- Doruru's name for Natsumi in the Violent Beauty Pageant is "Jon Anderson", the name of the original vocalist for Yes.
- When Natsumi snaps out of her mind control, she thinks she's in the Thunderdome, a reference to the third Mad Max movie.
- Shivava quotes the original Metal Gear Solid when everyone disappears into a trapdoor. Old Snake from MGS4 appears to say "Fox DIE" and blow him up.
- While Dark Keroro monologues to himself, Miruru sadly watches a clip from an old Spider-Man cartoon of Mary Jane dancing goofily in a cage to silly music.
- Mois mentions that she has a sister, a reference to Angol Fear (actually her cousin) from Soul Caliber IV and the original Keroro manga.
- Mois's line "...and then you get dizzy, and you throw up in your mama's bed" is a reference to a video by YouTuber/Twitch Streamer Jerma985, where he began to tell a story about how he ate an entire sleeve of Oreo cookies and threw up in his mother's bed, only to never finish the story beyond that.
- When Nazca reveals that she's also Miruru, Fuyuki says "That almost got really weird", a joke about the myriad of potential love interests he has in the original show.
- Tamama yodels like the Yodeling Pickle.
- The advertisement that gives Kululu his drones is a reference to the "Congratulations, you've won!" pop-up ad from the older days of the internet.
- Kerobobo casually loses his arm while walking over to Dark Keroro, a joke about the fight that was cut out from that scene wherein he loses the arm.
- Mois says Keroro "fell to Earth like Ichabod", a reference to Ichabod Crane from Sleepy Hollow.